A hairy stituation...

Okay. So there's this bar and in the bar there's a magic mirror. And if you tell a lie to this mirror it sucks you in. To where? I don't know, but this is a joke I found on Google.

One day a brunette walked into this bar. She walked up to the mirror and said 'I think I'm the most beautiful woman in the world' and it sucked her in.

The next day a redhead walked into the bar. She walked up to the mirror and said 'I think I'm the most beautiful woman in the world' and it sucked her in.

Then the next day a blond walked into the bar. She walked up to the mirror and said 'I think...' and it sucked her in.

wah. wah. wah. wommmmmmmmmmp.

-----

I've been living in France full-time for about a month now and it's nearly time to get my hair highlighted/colored. This, my friends, is a problem. Having moved from Malibu, California, I went to Kim Vo, master colorist to Hollywood A-listers (Kate Hudson/Goldie Hawn) and the "go to" guy for blondes. A long time friend of my mother's, Kim can take credit for the countless compliments I get on my color. Aside from that, going to Kim's is a champagne baby experience. The princesses all flit around – a name Mama, a woman whose job is not only to wash hair, but to keep all the egos in check, calls the male stylists and a few of the customers.

Yes, there is such a thing as manlights. Or should we call them brolights? Whatever.

At any rate: Don't mess with Mama. Whatever kind of "lights" you go for, I'm sure she'd have no problem knocking yours out.

As for Kim, you'd think being a celebrity coiffure would give him 'tude. But no, and no, and hell no. He's funny, sweet, outgoing, and a joy to be around. He rocks. Plus, he treats his staff with respect – probably one of the reasons he's been so successful. My mother has been going to him since "the beginning" – probably the reason we got a "deal." And that's all I'm saying on the subject.

Before I left, Kim gave me the formula for the base. (I'm a double process gal - base and highlights). Now, I have to find somebody I can trust. With my hair, that is. In the past I've had all sorts of problems: orange hair, reddish hair, brassy hair, and even tiger spots. Right about now would be a good time to tell you: Kim is Vietnamese. Normally a raven haired Asian, he's blond. And he looks great. That's how good he is.

The dilemma? I've seen some women running around the small town I live in. And I'm not quite sure the local stylists really "get blondes." Some of you are probably thinking: get your princess ass to Paris. But even if I found a replacement for Mr. Vo, I'd probably have to pay quadruple. Nope, can't do it. I'm a princess on a budget. So now you're probably wondering why I don't just dye my hair darker, evading the whole highlight potential hair color fiasco altogether. Perhaps a little brown sugar number five?

Did you ever see the movie The Grudge? Exactement. Dark hair just doesn't suit me.


I'm sure I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll find a decent coiffure in Toulouse? Not a small town, it's a city. Worse case scenario? I have to visit my parents at some point in time. In the mean time, I can always buy a beret to cover the roots. Viva la France!

And now some Français before I leave you. After all, it's Friday French! Yay! Take notes. Trust me, you might need this one day.

un sèche-cheveux - hair dryer

les meches- highlights

le coiffure- hair salon/male stylist/hair style

Je vais chez le coiffure. I'm going to the hair stylist. (thanks, Ksam)
J'ai besoin d'un coiffure. I'm in need of a hair stylist/hair style.

la coiffeuse- female hair stylist

coupe femme/coupe homme- haircut for women/haircut for men

mise en plis - blown dried and curled

extension de cheveux - hair extensions

un cauchemare- nightmare

-----

Sound off: Have any blonde jokes? Hair color nightmares? Any advice?

Have a great weekend. à tout
à l'heure.

 

Je ne vous comprends pas

Sign Up For My Newsletter

* indicates required